Originally constructed in 1885 for a cost of $675, the Big Tub Lighthouse played an important role in guiding ships into the harbour from the sometimes-treacherous waters of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. The original structure was later replaced by the six-sided, 14 metres (43 foot) wooden lighthouse that is seen today.
An automated red light acts as a guide for boaters. Watch for scuba divers just off the point, as this location is a very popular diving destination. One of the more accessible lighthouse sites, it is located virtually at the mainland terminus of Highway 6. Repairs were required when a winter storm in 1987 washed away many of the lighthouse’s shingles and part of its foundation. Part of the walkway and parking area were also washed away.
Tobermory’s light still guides boats through powerful currents, frequent fogs and numerous shoals to the safety of Big Tub Harbour. The number of shipwrecks offshore testify to the dangerous waters of this area. These waters have become a mecca for scuba divers from all over the world.
The Bruce Peninsula National Park Visitor Centre displays many of the area's marine heritage attractions.
Glass bottom boats operate tours to Flowerpot Island and to view the wrecks in the harbour three to six times daily.
- Type of Light: Automatic Red Light
- Range: 13 km
- Height: 43 ft
- Steps: N/A
- Style: Range Light
- Year Built: 1885